Thursday, August 20, 2015

Lensbaby Love Blog Circle, August: A Story About Milkweed

Every summer the kids and I raise Monarch butterflies from eggs. The female Monarch lays her tiny eggs on the underside of milkweed leaves, the only plant the caterpillars eat, and the hatchling larva munch non-stop, except to molt, for the next two weeks. I've been observing and photographing some of the caterpillars for the past week, spending a lot of time crouched in the milkweed patch. The milkweed provides a habitat for many little creatures, many of which I've gotten to watch up close and personal through my camera lens. Most of the images are macro, made with the Sweet 35 and extension tubes. I also used The Velvet 56  and Edge 80. I've enjoyed this so much, that I want to start early next summer and follow the milkweed through its complete cycle, along with the critters that live amongst its leaves.

Thank you for looking, and please continue on to the talented Celeste's blog. You won't want to miss what she's created!

























5 comments :

  1. oh wow! These are a gorgeous series Victoria!!! I can't believe the clarity you have on the upclose shots of the little critters. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Celeste!. I did most of it with a 2x crop sensor, so a lot of the blur was cut off. Caterpillars make fairly easy subjects. Bees, on the other hand, are much tougher to get in focus.

      Delete
  2. This is an exquisite collection of images, Victoria!!! Your close attention to detail and love of nature certainly shines through. What a wonderful project to do with your kiddos! So, who enjoys it more, you or them? :)

    ReplyDelete

©Victoria Hederer Bell. Please do not use images without permission.